The inauguration of a new president is always a time of change in the United States, but this has been a particularly big moment for Immigration. The Biden administration has expressed a commitment to acting swiftly and boldly to improve the country’s immigration laws and systems, potentially benefiting millions of individuals.
Some of Biden’s proposed changes include:
1. Ending the so-called “Muslim Travel Ban”
2. Reforming both employment-based and family-based immigration
3. A comprehensive reform that may allow for a path to permanent residence, and ultimately citizenship, for DACA recipients, TPS holders, and millions of others currently in the United States
4. Changes to how ICE, CBP, and immigration courts enforce immigration laws
5. Restoring protections for Asylum-Seekers and Refugees
Some of the changes that are being proposed can be quickly enacted by an executive order, signed by President Biden alone. A lot of the changes, however, will require congressional approval. This means that it may take some time to see those changes enacted, and when they are enacted, they may not exactly mirror what President Biden is currently proposing.
The upcoming weeks and months will likely have a lot of big news when it comes to immigration. We encourage anyone who may be impacted by this news to stay informed, and more importantly, to stay smart. Be sure that you’re getting your information from accurate sources, and always be alert to potential scams.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office. If you would like to receive updates as new immigration measures are enacted, please use the form below to be added to our email list. You can also text your email address to 404-884-8315. There is no cost to join the email list. You will only be contacted when relevant changes to immigration law occur. Your information will not be shared with any third party, and you’re welcome to unsubscribe at any time.
Sign up to stay current on changes to immigration law.